Something small I’ve done over the last year or two, but it’s something I enjoy doing. Ministries are hard to make work well, and something like this can make a surprisingly large difference. Plus I have fun doing little projects like these! And hey, who doesn’t like some checkboxes?
This one was tricky. There were several different directions we went in before finally landing on our end result. But fortunately, Uncorked Canvas is a company run by some truly lovely people, so even several drafts later it was still a pleasure working with them.
The original layout of this information was completely confusing. The client needed a totally redone way of presenting their services, in a clean, organized way – and so I presented my version, complete with hand-drawn graphics.
A pitch to a client. Was not selected as the final logo, but I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for it. A dreamy cloud tops a cute little cone? Adorbs. Plus of course that cherry is perfect. If I had to redo it I’d change it up a little but this is one of those “early sketches” of which I’m still fond.
This is the final logo for Freshline Moto Adventure Club. Here I’ll let you guys see the finished logo, the alternative logo format, and the initial draft pages.
The idea was to incorporate “FLMC” somehow into a design where it looked like a sun coming up over a mountain pass. And, of course, with a dirt-bike-style wheel encircling the whole thing. I think the final version definitely suggests that, but I personally always like seeing early concept drafts, so I thought I’d share.
This is most likely the first logo I’ve designed that didn’t have a physical drawing for the initial design, and was entirely designed from the ground up in Illustrator. Perhaps… progress…?
Working with transparency is a fun way to get yourself into trouble with a logo. If you do transparency at all, it needs to be simple, easy to visually understand, and still work with a variety of values.
I like how this one turned out. I had to go through a few drafts before landing on something I liked, but sometimes the result is worth the extra effort to bring your idea to life.
The church I attend has six Core Values that they associate with successful, thriving community (based on scripture references). I have created a set of desktop backgrounds that could cycle on my own desktop, reminding me of those principles and helping me memorize the verses attached to each one. These were not commissioned and are otherwise unaffiliated with my church in any kind of legal sense, but if they’re helpful for you, by all means, help yourself.
All images were sourced from Unsplash, a source of “alternative”, free stock images that I value highly. Fonts are BalboaPlus for the Values, Coronet LT Std for the verses, and Minion Pro for the large numerals.
A redesign pitch I submitted for QuickWay Manufacturing, which was unfortunately rejected in favor of another look and feel altogether (and a spelling change as well – public opinion is fickle). I rather liked the vintage feel. Ah, well, on to new things!
This is an unused logo design for Salta Pipe Co. based out of Abilene, TX. After these lion-themed drafts were completed, the company decided on a different direction, and the end result of that redesign is their current logo.
Despite that, I enjoyed the lion/pipe combination, and thought the initial designs at least deserved a little time in the sun.
One of my forays into package design. It doesn’t happen often, but I always enjoy making pretty little boxes that are functional as well. This particular design was actually a humorous misunderstanding, in that I wasn’t really supposed to do a package design for them in the first place … and so it is another unpaid, unused design, which is really a bummer, as I was looking forward to seeing it in person.
Since the physical box never saw the light of day, I made a mockup of it in Photoshop instead. That 3D extrusion model portion of Photoshop is so much more powerful than I thought it would be.
What they had me do instead of the package turned out to be a brochure design to market their nasal spray (in a considerably less fancy packaging – ah, not that I’m biased, of course). This was the final version of the resulting trifold brochure.